I Have Learned Something

I’ve made a lot of things in the past three weeks. I’ve made three batches of cookies, two pies, several loaves of bread, a few pizzas, a lot of croutons, a Thanksgiving dinner, a turkey, my mother’s oatmeal stuffing, homemade jelly doughnuts, some salads, guacamole and coffee. I’ve also made Christmas gifts, training schedules, clean inboxes, clean laundry, phone calls, video chats, bubble baths, to-do lists, some good jokes,¬†sandy shoes, long runs and short runs. What I have not made much of is photos.

In my defense, I have at my disposal  - for the first time in four years Рan oven; we are busy making up for lost time. I also have friends here in Okinawa; we, too, are busy making up for lost time.

But there’s something else I’ve come to understand about experiencing new places, whether visiting them or living in them. They take time to steep. The transition can happen relatively quickly, but the flavor and nuance take a little while to develop. There are the things you notice right away – how blue the blues are in Okinawa, how green and warm and windy it is, how smiley and friendly the locals are – and then there are the things that take time to see – that the canal winds its way into a quiet neighborhood, that this street reminds me of Mexico, that the tides don’t follow predictable patterns, and Okinawan dusks have a lavender hue. That my eyes don’t truly begin to see until I’ve begun to plant my roots, whether deep or shallow, into the ground.

9 Responses to “I Have Learned Something”

1. jodi says:

oh, so wonderful. i hope you are settling in nicely. and an oven??? in asia??? you are a lucky, lucky girl!

2. Yay! I’m happy to see what your eyes already start to catch*
    Hopefully you have friends near you to eat everything up!
    + your new location looks great, once more….

3. leila says:

these are so lovely. those clouds, that sunset, it all makes me wish i could live there. i also love how you describe it all.

4. Eva says:

It sounds like you’re really keeping busy! I’l looking forward to see what your eyes and camera find around your new home.
    Your print arrived safely a little while ago and now sits on a shelf accompanied by a Chinese paint brush set and Japanese tsumami kanzashi flowers, looking lovely! Thank you so much!

• Stephanie says:

So glad to hear it arrived safely, Eva! Everything was sent under duress of the move, so I am relieved. It sounds like it has a beautiful new home! :)

5. Sabrina says:

Damn, you certainly know how to celebrate an oven! I’m not certain if mine heats properly to bake..

6. Laurie Allen says:

Yay! I’m happy to see what your eyes already start to catch* Having an oven for the first time in a long time (that expression sounds strange) made me mad too. Hopefully you have friends near you to eat everything up! + your new location looks great, once more….

7. amisha says:

hooray for an oven! sounds like you have been making excellent use of it.
    you put it so well, about that process of starting to see, of settling in. i hope that you’re loving it there.