Okinawa

Having grown up on the ocean, I am often amazed at how easy it is to slip into the comfort of silence. From an early age, I was trained in the art of sitting together quietly, listening to the wind and the waves, lazily watching the water breathe and the sun sink into the horizon. For an undertaking so simple, the sense of accomplishment is mystifying.

So you can imagine that it’s been an awfully accomplished week here on the island, what with all the laying in the sand, collecting tiny shells, napping on the porch, reading through stacks of books, watching sunsets and inventing new cocktails (I’ve not yet perfected it, but let’s just say that limes, ginger and spiced rum are involved).

Now, it’s not all silence here in Okinawa. There is a rather large Air Force base nearby, filling the sky with its daily military exercises. There are motorcycle brigades at night and loud cantinas along the beach. And this is Japan, after all, so everything beeps and whistles and sings little songs. Even the beach below our window offers a melody and a greeting every few hours.┬áBut there is enough silence to keep a lady busy for three whole weeks.

And I plan to be thoroughly worn out from it.

10 Responses to “Okinawa”

oh yes — enjoy it, steph.

2. hannah says:

more. i would like more of this please.

3. charlotte says:

ditto han. more, more.

4. Stephanie says:

Oh, I’ve got plenty more, ladies. It’s just that I’m very, very busy with the aforementioned. Who can be bothered to turn on a computer when: look at that view! Wish you were here.

Thank you, Mr. Ferry. I am indeed.

5. AnnFant says:

I like the sound of ginger, limes and spiced rum in combination with that view. Well done!

6. laanba says:

I never knew the beaches were like that in Japan. I could definitely use some beach therapy right now.

7. Debra says:

Wear yourself out!

8. hiki says:

yes so nice to see you having a good relaxing time there!
    are you staying in the chatan area? okinawa is so nice isn’t it, i love how everything seems to move so nice and slowly there :) Enjoy!

9. jodi says:

yes, indeed.

when my husband & i lived in japan, he taught an adult english class in tokyo. the students asked him one day if he had ever been to hawaii. when he answered “no”, they were shocked! but when he asked them if they had ever been to okinawa, they said “no” very sheepishly.

i would gladly go to okinawa OR hawaii at this point.

10. … s i l e n c e …
    after reading this i realised i missed it
    & switched off my radio.
    seating here in my garden, siping cofffee quietly
    listening to the sun rising & birds singing and flying…
    i live near by the sea, & i feel so lucky for it*
    hope you enjoy all this seaside silence to the last bits
    - & find the perfect cocktail!