I love lists. I always have. So while enjoying a perfectly simple holiday-birthday weekend, I was quietly concocting a way of sharing some of my favorite bits of the last year. A Little Miss Year in Pictures, if you will. And then the Queen of List-Making, the irreplaceable Andrea, made this list. And it made me smile so much that, like the good friend that I am, I am totally stealing it. That’s right, Andrea. You are my best friend’s closet. I’m here to pilfer.
I hope you like scrolling.
This year I…
1. Took a ferry to Kyushu, Japan for my 37th birthday.
2. Was forced to wear business attire daily and resisted by flirting with the edges of acceptable.
3. Tended to plants.
4. Enjoyed every inch of sunlight in my apartment.
5. Made fortune cookie valentines.
6. Stayed in a fancy hotel, visited a giant Buddha and had beers with Leon in Hong Kong.
7. Shelled fresh peanuts on my windowsill while watching the clouds move.
8. Played with a Seagull in Yeouido Park.
9. Received lots of good mail.
10. Ate jimdak and saw cherry blossoms in Andong.
11. Made my first homemade yogurt. Then made more. And more.
12. Played guitar and drank sangria on the deck at Boundary. (R.I.P. Boundary)
13. Went to and hosted a few birthday parties.
14. Was gifted a new camera and a guitar.
15. Shared countless lunchtime curries and after-work chicken n’ beers with Erik.
16. Bought a purple linen tunic from UniQlo and too many shoes.
17. Watched a nation mourn the suicide of its former President.
18. Picked wildflowers along the Han.
19. Made the interns pose for me in the brainstorming room.
20. Took a lot of naps on the blue couch.
21. Loved every minute of the monsoon.
22. Bought a blue bowl and put cherries in it.
23. Ran beside the Han River, around the Imperial Palace, through the Presidio and along
the Willamette River.
24. Made a new friend from Finland.
25. Lived in Tokyo for three months to develop a global marketing campaign for a Very Large
Corporation. It took my breath away. Tokyo, not the Very Large Corporation.
26. Found myself on a Wednesday evening in Omote-Sando with a friend from Boston
and a serving of octopus hot dogs.
27. Found a favorite hang-out and became a regular at Kojimachi Café in Tokyo.
28. Ate sweet potato soft serve, drank beer and climbed a lot of stairs on Enoshima Island.
29. Experienced my first earthquake. Then my second, third, fourth and then I stopped counting.
30. Spent two glorious days laying in the sand and the sea at Shirahama Beach.
31. Soaked in a private onsen as the full moon blanketed the Pacific.
32. Saw a man with a furry orange head hanging from a building by one hand in Harajuku.
33. Ate blueberry swirl soft serve next to another giant Buddha.
34. Bought tenugui as souvenirs and gifts in Kamakura.
35. Stalked three old men for 20 minutes in the Shibuya Bic Camera. They never saw me.
36. Spent a Saturday in Yokohama with Hiki.
37. Developed a habit.
38. Was fed peanut butter toast, pellegrino, a spacious front porch, two outstanding neighbors,
a pumpkin-carving party, and chocolate chip cookies in Echo Park by one of my very dearest friends.
39. Saw 6 friends from college, five brand-new-feels-like-old-friends (1,2,3,4,5), 3 former co-workers,
1 old roommate and 1 ex-boyfriend in Los Angeles and did not take a solitary photograph of any of them.
Except Adam’s busted finger and these two:
40. Found the perfect dress.
42. Met one hundred dogs, several sea lions, a few naked people, two sunsets and
one sunny morning on Baker Beach.
43. Rode an overnight train 18 hours from San Francisco to Portland because I thought that
would be fun (it wasn’t), but at least I woke up to this.
45. Wrote a love song.
And again, not one picture of any of them.
47. Spent a week with my other very dearest friend and her first offspring.
48. Ate my weight in fresh roasted chestnuts.
49. Went to a friend’s exhibition.
50. Took 23,589,091 pictures of the view from my window.
Hm. I just realized something. I don’t think I am allowed to complain about anything ever again.
Thank you, friends, for coming along for the ride this year!