Oops

In my defense, I spied them several weeks ago, sitting quietly in the window of a shop down the street. I was late to meet a friend, but I vowed to return and retrieve them.

I realize this totals three new pairs of shoes in as many weeks. I realize that these shoes are not a kitchen table, a convection oven, a scanner or a guitar — four things I am supposed to purchase.

But when the weekend began, I hadn’t accounted for the rain being quite so…rainy. Or wet. And cold. I hadn’t accounted for allergies or Sudden Onset of the Crabby Appletons. I hadn’t accounted for the Spanish restaurant to be closed. Or for Molly’s book to be so enveloping that it would be impossible to eject myself from its pages, despite my stomach devouring itself in the process. [Note: Molly's book requires a full stomach or nearby snacks. Don't say I didn't warn you.]

I didn’t anticipate, under the intoxication of woodfired pizza, to stumble again upon the striped flats, still sitting quietly in the window. Nor that they would wrap up a weekend of misfires so tidily.

10 Responses to “Oops”

1. hannah says:

i think that perhaps it is a good thing i do not live in seoul, because i would most certainly buy shoes above anything else.

2. I agree: full stomach PRIOR to opening pages of that book is HIGHLY recommended. and you know, if you can pair some stripey flats with it: bonus! :)

3. rachellake says:

Sounds like a lovely end to a dismal weekend.
    When I lived in Greece, it was always very easy to justify buying shoes above necessities like food. My last week there, I ate 1 euro gyros for every meal so that I could leave with an extra pair of sandals.

4. leah says:

A+++ would shoe again.

xox

5. Molly says:

THOSE SHOES! So perfect.

Also, I love “Crabby Appletons.” I might just have to steal that phrase one day. With all due credit to you, of course…

6. marlys says:

lovely shoes – well worth deferring other purchases! and molly’s book – it’s so wonderful, right? my goal is to cook my way through it as soon as possible. i think molly’s my new favorite food writer – she reminds me of the laurie colwin and mfk fisher.

7. Astrid says:

oh! pretty, pretty shoes!

8. Claire says:

The shoes make you happy — that’s worth every cent you spent =)

9. Brian says:

So what were the other two pairs that you have kept quiet about, sorry to be so inquisitive but I love shoes too ;)